Saturday, June 07, 2014

Conspiracy Set Review: Wow! But....

Remember the 5 points in my consideration list? It actually checks off 4 points! Yes, this set is making a strong stand to really grab the attention of MTG players to join in the fun to revolutionize Drafts with  new cards and as well as re-introduce several notable cards in the Legacy / Vintage pool to draft! it's sort of a mini-Legacy Masters kind of expansion if I think about it. So how is this set? One word, Wow! This set is actually pretty good! But, in all the praise, I'll say it. I'm avoiding this set due to the number of reasons.

Yes, I did mentioned that there are no chase rares (at that moment!) to be excited about, but upon seeing the new spoilers, there ARE some chase cards (not just rares) that would excite people and go crazy with the whacking. Namely, they are:
  • Stifle
  • Brainstorm
  • Swords to Plowshares
  • Council's Judgment
  • Nature's Claim
  • Sakura-Tribe Elder
  • Exploration
  • Fact or Fiction
  • Dack Fayden
Yea... I know there some prominent cards that I have left out... But, you know what they are! In fact, depending on what you are looking for in the set, the "hype" or appeal will differ from people to people. As for the list mentioned, these are the few that are hyped in my local meta. But, personally I'm looking at the following for my EDH;
  • Foil Mirari's Waker
  • Foil Deathreap Ritual
This brings to my first reason; I am looking for only 2 Foiled cards. Not really a big reason to go frenzy in the whacking just for 2 foil cards... right? I mean the combined cost for those 2 cards would be less than $40.00. So it's really no point in getting them through pack whacking..

Okay, maybe the first reason isn't justified, but I'll rephrase; unless you are looking for the bulk majority of the cards, You won't really need to mass buy these cards. 
For example, you are a legacy player and it's definite that you will welcome the majority of such reprints right? (I think... I don't play legacy so...) However, if you are a standard or modern player, how is that Jap foil brainstorm or Dack Fayden going to help you in your deck? Yes, you can sell for cash but more often that not, if you burn out in the pack whacking with a pile of cards non-legal in your relevant format, then wouldn't you rather open other packs that will help in your deck for that same price and assuming with the same luck, getting better stuff that gives more options to your deck? 
Note that conspiracy is legacy and vintage legal, with the exceptions of a couple of cards that are in modern-legal sets; then these reprints would be legal. Also note that conspiracy is meant to be a stand-alone draft expansion set. In my opinion, this set is a unique set that gives relevant reprints to the legacy players, as well as for the EDH fans. 

Second reason, NO FULL ART LANDS! 
Although this set has checked off 4 of the 5 points I brought up to actually consider buying this set, They left out the most crucial point. Full art lands. For this expansion, they replaced all basic lands with Conspiracy cards. I did mention in the same post that I'm only convinced to buy the boosters if and only if there are full art lands. Jumping into Zendikar Lands may still be cheap, but it's not as readily available as it was years ago. I may get them at $1-2 each but I might as well look forward to the newer full art lands which are more readily available. Heck if the design may suck.. it's still full art! But, if it really sucks, it's still back to the oldies from Unhinged or Zendikar. (Unglued land design, IMO, really sucks)
Look, I'm not stubborn to realize that this set is a great expansion set, or admit that full art lands isn't everything to look for; by going with the judgment, Return to Ravnica and Innistrad expansions would suck  already isn't it?

Now the thing is this, Conspiracy is a good set if you haven't get my message. If you are getting it to draft with friends, it's a good set to see and play with the reprinted cards, mixed with some very powerful and new prints. The expansion also offers really good new additions for Legacy, Vintage, Causal and EDH formats and it ought to be taken note of. I'm only against buying this set in my personal financial point of view; I only have 2-3 cards which I'm chasing after, it's no point for me to buy a box or whack packs just for them. However, if you have the money to go for, I'd say it's a good set to try out financially. Dack Fayden is hunted at around $50, Legacy staples will be selling like hot cakes and the foils will be even more sought after. Just know your priorities and your needs before making a decision in buying this set. 


No comments:

Post a Comment