Friday, April 11, 2014

Hit and Run

Was looking at this article last night, and it struck me, I haven't reviewed my predictions as to what cards went up/down since the start of the year. I did a brief recollection of my thoughts and was pretty amazed in my hits. I've decided to list down to what I have predicted and what I have missed

Hits!

  • Desecration Demon: TOO Powerful to be a $0.50 card back then. I expected the rise of the card to $4 - $6. I didn't expect it to hit $10 as its max value.
  • Snapcaster Mage: $40 card. Too powerful to remain in the $20 ranges.. Only thing I regret about this is selling too early cos in the lack of faith I had in my predictions
  • Geist of Saint Traft: Same as above. He's really a powerhouse. Anyone disagree can really take a hit on their head; a t2 geist with hierarch and followed by a t3 elspeth is not a joke. Really no joke.
  • Restoration Angel: Holding.. $8 seems a pretty good price on her. But I'm expecting her to hit $12 again
  • Thalia, Guardian of Thraben: Sold my first set at $15, bought back at around $16. Now each is worth $7-$8. I'm predicting it to go up to $10
  • Batterskull: Missed it when it shot up to $15. I bought mine at $18. Now it's $25 :D
  • Spellskite: Sold my original 2 and bought 3 at $15. I'm holding these till $25!
  • Noble Hierarch: My best investment to date; I bought a playset at $70, then held on to it while playing Bant.. Eventually sold it off at $50 each. (could go higher, but I'm happy enough with it)
  • Rageblood Shaman: $0.50 to $1. Nothing to be proud of but it's still something...

Miss!

  • Supreme Verdict(Thought it will hit $10, but disappointingly, it only hit $6 at max.)
  • Fetchlands: I expected them to hit 100, but never got the funding to buy them
  • Temple of Enlightenment: I never expect it to hit $9... I did mention it will be the best, but not at $9!
  • Deathrite Shaman: Who would have thought this guy will get banned?! Luckily I sold my jap copy at $23 while it's still worth it.
The above are just the first things in mind I can think of; I don't admit that I have an amazing track record. Most are from more established traders and very few are by my own speculations. But, it is an amazing feeling that if I am able to hit the speculation right and able to cash out on the effort.

The thing is that I have never really mentioned about my speculations and where I checked my prices. I usually don't refer to a single website for prices. I usually do a cross-reference with a few websites and do an average. mtg-index is my latest resource website I've added in. Normally I would source TCG-mid and MTGPrice as my buying (high) price. Best I would be able to get it at TCG-low, but here in Singapore, no one uses the TCG-low. Alternatively, I can source out local forums and do a rough gauge in what are the card prices they are selling and I usually put 20% less as my buy price.
For Selling price, I'd just use a round up avg of MTG-price/TCG-Mid and Starcitygames. This applies when I'm looking at cards with value; otherwise for crap rares, it'll just be a standard $0.14 for every 500pcs I am getting.

A quick update for today, I'll post another over the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment