Tuesday, August 18, 2015

FTV: Angels!!!!! [First Look!]


I love Angel Tribe, period. Hence, when this was released, I was really excited. In fact, I never had been so excited for a FTV set. When the preorders opened, I immediately preordered my set. Well, at least the collection won't go into some corner of my room. I will be using some of them in my EDH. The rest? Well, I'm just going to sleeve them and store them back in the box as a collection.

But, right now I'm going to review them. Since all of them are in there, I'll be reviewing based on artwork and the appeal of the card overall. Also, since the last FTV I reviewed, FTV: Annihilation, I have decided to also review based on whether the card should be included in the collection set. 

Again, I won't cover the EV. I would link to the Video by Mana Source here below if you want to know is the FTV set worth it or not.
Oh, just so you know, I only found and watched this video half-way through doing this article.


Both versions of Akroma looks stunning. The art on both cards shows and depicts Akroma in both forms really well. I can see the elegance and beauty of the woman that Akroma was modelled after, but yet the power within in the Wrath version. The Fury just simply screams power and dominance. 
I'm not sure about you, but when I think of Angels, I really do reference the theme and tribe to these two cards. Personally, I think they are well-deserved to have a spot in this expansion.


Archangel of Strife is a relatively new card, but Oh MY... the Art! Yes, this is the same art from Commander 2014, and thankfully they kept that art. Depicting both the offensive and defensive capabilities of an angel with a shield and sword, the ability give the respective players the relevant buffs based on their choices mirrors the art well. Furthermore, the background colours definitely will be beautiful in foil. I haven't seen her in the physical copy yet, but I think will like the foiling and it's a great addition into the FTV set.


Aurelia from Gatecrash expansion just looks and feels badass from the art to her abilities. her subname, Warleader suits her role as the Boros guild leader really well. The card overall has a very strong boros theme to it. From the general artwork in red and white mostly, to the design of the character and card to give the feel of a very important character in a massive army. Does she fit the bill? I guess so, but I was expecting something more of the graceful side of the Angel. 


Talking about gracefulness, Avacyn is one beautiful angel with one of the most graceful poses in the FTV set. Her art theme of light among darkness suits her role as a protector of humans in the Innistrad plane. My local community here affectionately nicknamed her "Lady Gaga" because of the Gothic looks and dressing. But, that doesn't stop her from being included in my personal list of top 5 Angels. She is definitely one of the chase mythics in this FTV set and I am personally hyped when I saw this card spoilt.


The community nicknamed her wallet-slayer. She peaked at $50 a piece when she was played in standard. She is one of the most powerful creatures back in her days. That's Baneslayer Angel for you. Her flavour text is simply amazing! It says exactly what I perceive an angel to be; powerful, yet graceful. A force to be reckoned with, but yet a protector. 
This is the card that I fell in love with when I started MTG. I have always wanted to play this card in a deck but I could not find one to fit her in. But, never mind. This is going into either my EDH or into my collection.


An honestly great addition to the set. Though not an Angel creature card, it's still relatable card in the Angel theme. If you are complaining, Decree of Justice is a worse choice. There are worse choices compared to this card out there. For the art, I'm happy that they kept the art. It looks really amazing and fitting for the name of the card. Only draw back is that you are paying rather a high cost for a few angels if you don't pay the miracle cost.


I'm a little confused with the artwork to the name of the card. Isn't exalted supposed to be defined to be someone elevated in terms of status or level? This was the artwork that was teased to us when FTV: Angels was announced. I personally was expecting it to be Twilight Shepherd or Requiem Angel because of the covered face of the Angel. But hey, it turned out at least the current artwork for both are really nice the way they are and not having another artwork for them as an alternative? Or them as filler cards. Then again, Exalted Angel is a filler card herself isn't it? 


Holy shiiiitt!! New Art by Jason Chan and I approve of this art! Iona looked amazing in her original art, but here, she looked badass and a major force to be reckoned with!! I love this card having tried playing this in a Gifts-variant in Modern. Love this card! The new artwork looks absolutely amazing!!! Glad I ordered the FTV! 


Beautiful art, beautiful flavour text. I'm screaming internally for the foil. I want it NOW! I don't know this card, but I don't care. I'm mesmerised by the artwork. 


My first Angel. My next EDH general. I'm sold. Jenara IMO is one of the best Bant Generals for EDH. Sure we have Rafiq and Derevi, but they are really high in the threat level and will definitely be aimed. Jenara evades the radar a few times before the play group knows what you are really going to do with it. I wished a new art would be great though. Not that I am complaining the art is bad, no. The art really depcits her gracefulness and capability as a warrior. I'm just hoping that a new art would be given to her to make her be seen in action. 


I'm quite confused as to why this card is in there. I'm not too fond of the card nor the artwork. Sure, it fits the name of the card really well; Lightning Angel. But, I'm not too sure if I would relate to her when I think of Angels in MTG. Maybe because of my relative inexperience to the lore and to the game, but I personally think that if this is Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Twilight Shepherd or maybe Karmic Guide? Heck, I'd even settle for Maelstrom Archangel!



I heard stories. Awesome stories of this card abusing and punishing their opponents. Platinum Angel is unique in the sense that while we don't see her in play often, we will always hear stories about her. It's like a legend where we don't see it, but will always hear their stories. Does she deserve a spot in the FTV set? YES! Her stories told are a legend on its own and seeing this card points to prove that this card is capable of doing many many abusive things. Stories alone make her iconic enough to be remembered and not forgotten.


Classic Angel card. We definitely relate to this card. From a draft bomb, to a then constructed powerhouse. I really don't mind this card in the FTV set as it is both nostalgic (in a way) to some, as well as a very relatable card to relatively new players like myself. I thought the current artwork for Serra Angel is actually more beautiful. But hey, I'll hold back my comments because it's Rebecca Guay. I saw her artwork in a playmat. It looked stunning, so I'm anticipating this to be beautiful as well in foil.


First Foil for this card. Tariel first appeared in Commanders and yes, the artwork really speaks out Mardu. Yes also to the fact that this is going to appeal and impress the EDH players who are using her as a General and are screaming their lungs out in excitement for a foil card. It's a good move to include Tariel in as a shout out to the EDH community. While we have Archangel of Strife doing the same for the community, I think this card is a far much better one to give the reference.


In summary, is this a good FTV set? In my opinion, I would say yes. Yes to this FTV set for being awesome in the selection of cards and as well as the overall flavour of it. It does have the potential that this is one of best FTV sets we have in awhile. FTV: 20 and FTV: Annihilation are a major disappointment. I'm looking forward to pick this up when it is released. As again mentioned earlier, I'm looking at this set solely from the appeal in the artwork and cards chosen to represent the Angel theme of the FTV. I'm not looking at the estimated values of the cards and of the set itself. 

Alright, now I have given you my thoughts, what do you think of FTV: Angels? Is it good or bad? Is it worth the selling price? Discuss in the comments below, or follow my discussion at twitter @mtgprojectzero!

No comments:

Post a Comment