Friday, March 13, 2015

What I bought and why? [9-13 march 2015]

So I've seen trends going around that many big-time speculators are disclosing what they have bought over the weeks etc, and their justifications. Well, I think I want to join in the fun! I've done a spreadsheet on what I have bought and sold, along with the prices.

What I have bought so far and the reasons for buying.
Most of them are for investment and safe to say, most are safe bets to go buy into. I have some high risk speculation cards which I will go into later for my reasoning.

Foil Thought Scour is a step too late. I had the opportunity to ship them out at 1200 points each on PucaTrade, but I hesitated. In the end I lost that window to trade it out and eventually, had to settle it for selling them at $8 each.  The profit margin was still okay though, but it would have been better even if it is out via points. The considerable amount of difference in the profit still does matter in the end when I think about the possible trade routes. Even then, it's still good to see profit.

Smother was a simple plan; pick it up at $1.50 when the prices reflected are $6 and just sell it at that price. No questions asked.

Abrupt Decays are safe spec pieces that I have been trading them for awhile since last year. The profit margin is quite reasonable and on my side, I still have 11 more pieces. Those will be waiting for the prices to hit $18 - $20 before letting go of them.

I'm not willing to let go of Snapcaster Mage despite the obvious increment in prices. I firmly believe in my words that Snapcaster Mage will hit $50 this year. Heck, I'm willing to do a bet that it will hit $55 by the end of the year! I'll be looking to sell them at that price range by then. I don't foresee myself using them anytime soon. Even then, a reprint for Snapcaster Mage is an easy priority target in future Modern Masters reprints.

Okay, let's move on to the Higher risk speculation pieces

Rakshasa Deathdealer
  • 4-off in almost all Standard Abzan deck? a 2/2 for 2 mana which is a relevant draw in early and late game. It's $1 now but I expect to see it reaching $3 - $4 tops when Theros rotates out. Even if it isn't in Abzan decks, G/B/x variants can run this still. 
Trail of Mystery (High Risk)
  • I don't know... I thought manifest and morph would be a thing with this...
Ghostfire Blade (High Risk)
  • A strong card if there some works of colourless or morph creatures... Affinity may not want to play it over cranial plating, but there is still hope in seeing it in some decks post- KTK... 
Spirit of the Labyrinth
  • Modern and Legacy playable. I know the foil is insane now, so the non-foil would pick up the trend.. Plus, this card is in Born of the Gods... it's a small set and also, it's barely opened as compared to the other expansions of that block... so it would probably be a long-term keep. 
See the Unwritten
  • Firstly, it's a mythic that will be seen in EDH play. It screams for decks with unique synergy with this card and by itself, it's a game winner if done right. Second, it is very possible to see it in play in Standard constructed formats due to its power level. It may not be seen now, but I'm very sure that this will be a strong pick-up now. Too bad I only have 6 pieces... Should have bought more of them...
Anax and Cymede (Foil)
  • Tiny Leaders is really in the rage right now and this is is a very strong choice as a tier 1 commander. Wait for it... if it really takes off, this would go up accordingly to demand and play.

Remember I had written an article regarding a project in which I'm making another modern deck?? You can read all about it in the link below:

I have more or less completed the deck, but after a few games with it, I realized it's not my play-style. I sold the deck to a friend, while keeping the staples for my other decks. But, the underlying motive of the deck was still about brewing a deck for cheap using trade platforms. So here is the final spending:

Cards purchased Prices per piece
2x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
$6.65
1x Baneslayer Angel
$12.35
4x Nevermore
$1.00
1x White Sun's Zenith
$0.50
1x Leyline of Sanctity
$25.00
3x Wrath of God
$11.00
Combined PucaTrade / Deckbox Mailing cost:
~$50.00
Total:
$109.50

As I did mention, the total cost for the deck would hit around USD$350 if I were to buy from the shops (cos shops here mainly does a price guide from starcitygames with USD/SGD conversion factor.) I managed to reduce the price to $109.50 spent. I think it's a good amount of savings and considering that the cards that I kept were like 4x Leylines, Baneslayer Angel and the Wrath of Gods, I think its worth the money spent in the end. 
It was a small project I wanted to run for awhile and now that I have accomplished that goal, it's time to move on to other things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment