Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Honesty; Best policy?

I haven't been completely honest... I broke my own promise to buy the following:

  • 3 JOU boosters ($4)
  • 2 Avacyn Restored boosters ($6)
  • 2 RTR Boosters ($4.50)
That's $33 wasted. My point here is a relation back to the previous posts; that the boosters are the fastest way to drain money without you knowing it. Just like that, I've spent $33, without getting any good returns. Of course, if you are talking about hitting the jackpot you may recoup but, odds are you won't. In this case, I went bust; I got nothing which allows me to recoup back the money spent.

On the other hand, I managed to pick up the following;
EDH
  • Foil Terramorphic Expanse ($0.50)
  • Foil Tempest Light ($0.50)
  • Wood Elves ($0.50) 
  • Jap Wood elves ($0.50)
Deck
  • 3 Jap Ravenous Trap ($0.50)
Investment
  • 3 Brushlands ($1.50)
  • 1 Karpulsan Forest ($1.50)
  • 2 Fabled Hero ($0.50)
  • 4 Steam vents ($31.3 after trades) 
  • 1 Goblin Electromancer ($0.85)
Look at the above; the $33 spent on booster can already get the 4 steam vents or probably something else that is bulk worth, but possibly in demand or have potential to spike. The second point is that it is easier to track the amount on singles bought as compared to the amount spent on boosters. Recoup rate is also better.

Now to the main topic; Honesty. I don't mean about cheating in games etc. I mean if you were to "cheat" by buying out cards from vendors who don't update their prices, or by falsifying the condition of the cards like a slightly con-ed card to be NM. Worse still, had any of you tried to con off a person by quoting a price much lower than the market rate? Big question here is, what's the limit of such activity before it's deemed to be dishonest acts? While under the definition, all will be deemed to be dishonest but ask yourself, I'm sure you have encountered scenarios like that, be it being at the receiving or giving end or as a third party witnessing it. While most of us close an eye on such, provided if the deal is agreed and fair. We would be quick to deny that we are fair in our trades so even if the deal is unfair to our advantage, we have many reasons to rebut arguments. 

See, understand that when we trade, we stand to lose in order to gain something. the only thing we can try is to shift the trade to our advantage and to do that, we "cheat" the trade. It's simple understanding of such mentality, "if i lose something, I must gain something which reaps me a benefit"; rephrase, "there is no free lunch in this world". An example, if I were to purchase everything at the market price, I can need not deal with people because I will never make profit.

More often that not, the motivation is often driven by greed. we want to gain as much as possible from a trade to profit or just to get the upperhand. I personally have encountered several relatable situations. I have rush-ordered cards from vendors who failed to update their prices and I have "cheated" by negotiating trades to get off a few dollars or cents to acquire cheaper cards. Yes, I have "scammed" people who do not know their card values in order to make a profit. But, it's still a fair deal in the end. 

Surprised? So where's the line? How is it that we have done things like what I have given as examples, and still let go as a good trader instead of a dishonest bloke? Firstly, the gains and returns will determine the fairness of the trade. Yes, you may have gotten what you want, but what about the other guy? Does the guy get something back that he deemed fair? Fairness can be in perspective. I can "eat" his cards at an extremely low price, but in return, the guy may only want to get rid of the cards in bulk and don't mind the profit margin. Alternative, the person may be keen to trade off his better rare for a stack of cards near or not equal to value because he may be just a casual player. Or maybe the guy wants to trade off that rare for other cards for deck building or investment. 
Examples are endless, but they all have something in common; both parties agrees to the trade and whether one person gains the upperhand in that trade, both parties agree to the stakes of the trade and their returns. It is also to note that the gains and returns need not be just on cards. The point here is that we "cheat" the trade by giving consensus; taking into consideration that two parties may not just negotiate for a single deal, but for future deals as well, like maybe a person buy off cards at a low price from me, but in return, he may be willingly to sell me his at a discount in future. 

Accountability is the second factor which draws the line. This is important to the credibility of the trader. However the trade is fair, it is still a true scam or cheat if one party changes the negotiation deal without prior consent. The only difference in a fair trade with upperhand to a true scam or cheat is that the trader uses underhand means to manipulate without giving a accountability to the other party. If you can't trace your trade back to the trader, I won't think it's a legit trade. Also, if you get what back less than what you expect, and/or the terms is not what you initially agreed, this is the red alert call. On the other hand if you have agreed to the trade prior to the deal, any changes in prices causing you to change your deal, is a re-negotiation subjected to the other party; it's not a right for you to just change the deal, losing the credibility as a trader and accountability of the trade.

The main point here is that honesty is still best policy. You can manipulate the trade to your advantage, but in return, give a credible accountability or return to the other trader. Knowing and understanding what he wants from the trade may help. It's not wrong to walk out from a trade without any agreement, but the former does not hold if any agreement has been made. In the end, the networking practice of knowing other people is more important than that profit margin or how much you can optimize your value from unsuspecting people. Sure, you may make that trade walking away happy, but what about your next trade? Your reputation, as who is going to trade with you once your action is exposed to the community? Know that the magic community may not as big as you think. (For here at least...)

I'm not sure how you feel, but basically I feel that this is my own trading principles. I will want to get the best out of my trade, but I still value my credibility as a trader and the networking with other traders is just as important to me. Sometimes honesty may not be the best policy but the credibilty and accountability of your actions is the most important policy

No comments:

Post a Comment