Monday, May 19, 2014

Conspiracy....


Magic: The Gathering – Conspiracy is a new standalone booster set where the intrigue begins long before the first spells are cast! 

Release Date: June 6, 2014 

The set is designed to be drafted and then played in Free-for-All multiplayer games.
Revolutionary new abilities impact every part of the experience, from drafting and deck-building to playing the game.
New Magic™ cards with new mechanics, as well as returning favorites, will help draw players into your store for this unique multiplayer booster draft experience.
• 210 card set
• Black-bordered
• Set includes 65 unique new cards
• Sold in 15 card booster packs
• 36 booster packs per display
The Conspiracy format is best suited for drafts with approximately 8 players. After players draft and build their decks, they divide into two groups of 3-5 players that will play Free-for-All multiplayer games. Source: http://www.magicspoiler.com/conspiracy 

I'm not sold on this product. To be honest, what am I supposed to be doing with cards after I have drafted? The mechanics are draft-specific and unless I am able to make some use of them in constructed play, I'm really not sold. If I were to whack this, there are 5 things I want to see in Conspiracy...
  1. Full-Art Lands
  2. Legacy/modern playable chase rare or reprint
  3. New playable cards
  4. A good low-cost white/green removal
  5. Cards or mechanics that are easily integratable into other multi-player formats like EDH, Horde, Archenemy, Planechase, etc..
As of now, we have a few mechanics which are pretty interesting.
  • Conspiracy
  • Hidden Agenda
  • Dethrone
  • Will of Council
  • Parley
Surely, yes... this will change the format for drafts and yes, while these cards (some) are legal in legacy and vintage, I have yet to see a card which will be welcomed into the meta. EDH will be screaming for this as a side option kind of game with the new cards. But as of now, there isn't anything in my opinion that is worth the chase. Reprints are coming in and sourcing around the web have shown that many of us are keen in the fetchland reprint. However I personally still think it's not the time for a fetch reprint. My reasoning is the same as shown in the previous post; that the new border design print are coming and honestly, it is not worth their ink to print them now. They'll rather wait for the new borders to introduce the reprint. This means that the original prints will retain their value due to old border design. 

Personally, I'm rooting for the following to be reprinted/seen in Conspiracy; Note that this set is legal in Legacy and Vintage... Not modern! So modern staples may not make the cut.
I know there are still several others that is yet to be re-printed or have a reason to see a reprint and my list is pretty much baseless other than Squirrel Nest, Fact or Fiction and Swords to Plowshares. I don't want to guess what's in it and make the move to whether I want to jump into this set or not. As mentioned above, I'm not persuaded yet but having full art lands will swing me into a yes automatically. Anything else falling into the 5 points I mentioned wanting to see in conspiracy, I may be persuaded, but I still want to see full art lands. I made a wrong move in throwing out my full art lands 5-6 years ago in Zendikar block... I don't want to miss this boat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment