Sunday, May 31, 2015

Modern Masters 2015 - the set that the we were waiting for? [First Look!]

Alright! My tradition continues! I'm back with another [First Look!] Article and this time it's for the most anticipated set in 2015! Modern Masters 2015. Since this is a reprint set, I'll set this list for the top 10 best reprint. The things I consider for the candidates for the list includes current supply/demand, price tag, artwork and usability of the card. The list are not in any order and it is just a collective list of what I feel is the best and most deserved reprints for Modern Masters.

Here we go!
Number 10: Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

First up! The poster-boy for the preview of Modern Masters 2015! Personally, I think having the Eldrazis reprinted is a really good thing; having seen play in both competitive constructed and as well as in casual formats. No changes to the art, so... No comments on that though on that point, I'm actually happy with this art over the promo-art. At least this one looks more terrifying and awesome at the same time! The promo art looks... like a plate of spaghetti overflowing.  Nevertheless, It's one of those mythics that you will won't be overly happy, but satisfied with the pull considering the money spent.

Number 9: Fulminator Mage

Thanks to Modern format that this card suddenly see a spike and remained at a high price since then. It's a rather interesting from the perspective that it's a sideboard card that is so heavily demanded due to the formats greedy mana bases. Now, having it reprinted, it should settle down to a more realistic price eventually. But, don't get your expectations up in having it to remain that low. It won't.

Number 8: Leyline of Sanctity

Speaking of Sideboard cards... You remember my previous article talking about how this card fits in many decks' sideboard? Well, it should dip to about $15 a piece eventually and depending on how the response of the meta and how it shifts (it shouldn't shift too much...) this card may eventually dip back down or remain in the high $10s to $20s. I have a playset + 1 foil copy prior the reprint but I'm holding on to mine regardless. It's hard to find prior the reprint and even after the reprint, I'm not saving much by selling now and rebuying later. Still, it's a good decision that they decided to reprint this.

Number 7: Lightning Bolt

Given the choice now, please go stock up this bad boy. It's very unlikely that we will see this in the last core set and it will be awhile before we see this reprinted again. I don't think MTG Origins will show this, but if it does show up, well, nothing to lose. Having its rarity status upgraded to Uncommon, It's gonna be a chase uncommon for many people. Oh, having a foil in every pack? Well, it's gonna be one of the bonus foils that we are actually happy to see that is not a mythic. I don't know about you, but if I pull a foil copy of this, I'm actually quite excited over it.

Number 6: Mox Opal

Well, this Mox is being reprinted and this basically makes an already "cheap" deck in modern becoming cheaper... Hey, at least it retains its wonderful art and mythic rarity status! I wanted to do more of the speculation articles prior to the full spoiler release, but I didn't have the time to throw in another article. Mox Opal was one of my targets that will see a reprint due to the artifact "theme" being teased with Etched Champion being teased. (Etched Champion's new art is awesome!)
Well, I'll disregard it anyway. It's a fine card to be pulled from pack actually. But, unless you plan to play affinity, you'll probably take it and trade it off for other things instead? I would.

Number 5: Noble Hierarch

May I direct your attention to this article here, and this article here! Period. I've talked about this over and over. I rest my case here. :D

Number 4: Remand

Having seen this spoiled made me really want to go out there and start laughing at people who told me it's near impossible that this will be reprinted (I'm just kidding.. I won't do that. But, I'm right still!). As I did mention in an earlier article, that Modern Masters 2015 can be considered as a supplementary product, at a premium price. It won't hurt the market as badly as people would think having this reprinted.
Number 3: Spellskite

A staple for any sideboard! Glad to see this reprinted! Also, I did mention this will see a reprint didn't I?

Number 2: Remand

No brainer... This is a MUST...

Number 1: Vendilion Clique


Stunning artwork, great card to play in modern. It's extremely strong in certain control/tempo decks and hence, deserves a spot. To me, this was one card whose altered/new art that looks nicer. 

Honestly the way I look at it, the hype initially deserves it to be one of the most anticipated sets in 2015. But, the way it looks, it could bottom out as one of the most disappointing if the pull rate for the chase mythics and rares are rather low. I understand that there is a need to balance out the set in a draft manner, but having some stuff in there really killed the otherwise premium set. I'm not saying that the set will be bad due to the what was spoiled nearing the end; I'm just saying that if the pull of those chase rares and mythics is eventually low, it's not going to help lower the market entry to the format and it could end up being disappointing.

I initially planned to get a box myself. But, upon looking at the EV (Estimated Value) of this set, an extremely well-written article by MTGGoldfish which nailed a lot of my thoughts, I'm quite turned off by data. Nevertheless, I'm still going ahead to acquire certain staples. What do you think? Is it still worth buying Modern Masters 2015?

Edit: 31 May 2015: 
I bought 2 packs to try out, and I got busted....



No comments:

Post a Comment